I do the main grocery shopping in my household, so let’s break down why this is bullshit.
1. 2 lbs BONESLESS SKINLESS chicken breast is gonna run more like $7-$8, on a sale day.
2. I just bought a 3lb bag of potatoes for $4 so I think this is more like $9.
3. Corn I can honestly say I have no clue but if you’re poor and work all day you’re probably going to buy frozen corn anyway, which the family size bag is about $3.
4. 1 lb of peaches is $2 on sale here right now.
5. 1 gallon of skim milk is $4
6. This is the biggest bullshit here, 96/4 ground beef is $6/lb here
7. a 32 oz tub of yogurt is $3, closest match thus far
8. 18 oz canister of oats is more like $4.
9. 2 lbs of frozen sweet peas again $3 on sale
10. 1 lb of dried kidnet beans is again, the closest here since dried beans are in fact wicked cheap, $2.
So how much did this trip cost?
Eating healthy isn’t as easy and cheap as people like to claim it is, but this shouldn’t be an excuse to put our hands in the air in defeat and eat whopper jrs every night, it should show a problem with affordable healthy food and help us work towards making nutrition available to all.
the big thing for someone like me that these infocharts never put into consideration is the time that goes into preparing these meals. the difference between the top option and the bottom is that it’s ready to eat THEN. if you have a family where a meal is something where responsibilities can be spread out, that’s one thing.
when you’re lonesome ole’ me, hell, i’ll take the pizza order and much on that for two meals over getting all the raw materials and making a pizza? i have three jobs now and don’t always have time to cook. :(
Not going to entirely agree with everything here. Places like Aldi, Costco, and Save A Lot make this kind of budget fairly possible. However, I can personally say that the Save A Lots I’ve been to are pretty unwholesome and some of their products look straight up questionable. It’s like walking into a smaller walmart, but the products are as bad as the actual store, but Aldi is much nicer. Ultimately, this isn’t easy to pull off and requires some planning. Also I’m sure grocery prices aren’t the same all around the country, so good for you if you can spend 20 on food for a week. Not everyone else has that luxury.
However, you can spend six dollars at a place like that on decent ingredients for a pizza or calzone. And I love me some calzone, then you gotta go home, make the dough, let it rise a good 45 minutes, prepare it, and then bake it, or walk into a little ceasars and spend 5 dollars in 5 minutes. So yeah, when people are working multiple jobs, or working overtime because let’s say they work in animation or video games and are in the middle of a huge crunch, cooking sadly can take a back seat and fast food companies really don’t care how bad their food is for you, so we can simply justify buying a 2240 calorie pizza based on time and money. And yes that’s how many calories are in a hot n ready. Amurrica!
Not saying that image is totally right, but here’s some food for thought. ZING!
- misanthropicspectrum likes this
- jeffnerogurl reblogged this from iwantobe120
- cancertocapricorn likes this
- wily-caryatid reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- wily-caryatid likes this
- wetoldyouwhattodream likes this
- itsjesusbitch likes this
- anabelle-gets-fit reblogged this from fitspo-healthy and added:
- sweetxsecret likes this
- shabernack likes this
- freaky513male likes this
- iambetteroffdead reblogged this from sporadicmoves
- thestargirlmoonchild likes this
- marisaruby likes this
- thurstonheartsthewho reblogged this from mama-smurf and added:
- emily--rugburn likes this
- mama-smurf reblogged this from thurstonheartsthewho and added:
- untiltheearthisfreee reblogged this from thurstonheartsthewho
- thurstonheartsthewho likes this
- letyourselfbesilentlydrawn reblogged this from thurstonheartsthewho
- alliieennss likes this
- librarianpirate likes this
- crossmirage likes this
- pixiesnowbelle likes this
- sugarnoir likes this
- bitterbombdomme likes this
- skinny-minnie-sugar reblogged this from luckylace
- givemeonepage reblogged this from fitspiration and added:
- lilgengar likes this
- sweetxsecret reblogged this from taoayumu
- highlandfangirl likes this
- alitales likes this
- gatorsmusicnurselove reblogged this from brittyrosnycdreams and added:
- gatorsmusicnurselove likes this
- brittyrosnycdreams reblogged this from ayyyyylex and added:
- psychedelic-orgasms likes this
- redhottie7137 likes this
- walking-on-grass likes this
- bencachadog-rn likes this
- ayyyyylex likes this
- ayyyyylex reblogged this from fitness-is-a-habit
- inspiredfitnesss reblogged this from justkeepbreathing831
- cammerelangelene reblogged this from pantiesonmywincestsounds
- amourlemonde likes this
- kidswholiketoparty likes this
- nuthinjusdrinkinmelifeaway reblogged this from lettittbeee
- yourprettyfacee reblogged this from veemnz